Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Not So "Free" Vet Check...

Sorry for the lack of posts!I've been sick on my butt all week so I haven't done much of anything besides sleeping and being miserable.I don't get sick very often but when I do it hits me like a ton of bricks.I am thankfully feeling a smidge better today,though not near 100% yet,son is still sick but daughter is better though not 100% either.I haven't gone thrifting,I haven't worn anything cute,nothing fun came in the mail, so I haven't had much to share...oh wait Dana's gift did show up,I should show that off..ok check!An idea for next post.Just lots of rest and drinking good things to get this cold to kick rocks!

Photobucket

Basically not a lot to report in my neck of the woods except for even though I'm sick I did have an awesome eyebrow day,Haha! (small victories people,that is what life is about)
Photobucket
and when we got Lug Nut last week I am happy to report he has fit right in with our family.The shelter told us we had a free vet check up to we has scheduled one for Friday.When we adopted him they said his ear was causing him a lot of pain but they didn't want to touch it because it hurt him.Reality,they didn't want to invest the money in him to fix it!

Well,last night we noticed the ear was swollen shut!There was no way we were going to make him suffer until Friday so luckily the vet agreed to squeeze him in today.He was a sweetheart about it though he didn't like having his ear flushed.Turns out he'd has a yeast infection in his ear,that does happen to dogs,yes weird right?Turns out he'd had it for about 6 months!Which would explain why it had gotten so bad.Also she confirmed what my husband suspected that he was not a Boston Terrier but an Old Boston Bulldog..its what Boston Terriers use to be before they were bred down in size so thankfully that means he's not horridly overweight just a little chunky,haha!

Nothing in life is "Free" and we learned that yet again today when the free check up ended up costing $200.00.To be fair the check up itself WAS free,normally they're $59.00 just for the check up but we just found it humorous.It was a little ouch but could have been MUCH worse and more importantly Lug Nut is going to be ok and you can't put a price on that.We feel and it was confirmed by the vet that his original owners neglected him.He was overfed,had an infection that was allowed to be ignored for so long and unfortunately has really bad tarter!Otherwise he has a clean bill of health and the vet said he's probably not 7 but more like 4 or 5 so yeah to having even more years to enjoy him!

Photobucket

What makes me sad though after finding out he was YOUNGER than we thought is the fact that his teeth are in really bad condition for being so young.We picked him up some Greenies but the vet said ideally it was so bad he needed to come in for a cleaning which would run about $360.00,yikes!I've cut a lot of prices in my shop in hopes to raise the funds to get him his very needed cleaning.Just a friendly reminder to my fellow pet owners to pay attention to your pets hygiene,including oral care!I'm off now to partake in some more juice and Netflix goodness.

12 comments:

  1. Awww! Sweet lil Nug!!!! Poor guy!! Chancho gets really bad yeasty ears, but I never let them get bad enough that his ear is swollen shut! Poor thing! Once his ear is back to normal, if you get Epi Otic and clean them out on a regular basis (or when his ear starts to smell like yeast) it will keep it nice and clean and it won't flare up. I have a feeling Lug might have a problem with it. But maybe not! Another side note, do not administer Epi Otic during an infection, it could sting. If an infection is present, administer Mal Otic.

    Bummer about his teefers! :( And get well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw bless him! He is such a cutie.

    I hope you get well soon, I'm not someone who gets sick much but even I was laid low for 2 weeks in Feb, some straight horrible stuff going round! Look after yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch!! That hurts the pocket book. Good thing he's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our big dog gets yeast infections in his ear, we just have to keep an eye on it and they give us some drops every time it starts to flare up. The little dog has bad teeth too, and they said a cleaning would be like $200, and we can't afford that right now, so I need to go buy a toothbrush and some doggie toothpaste and do what I can at home. Glad you are getting your puppy better though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh boy! Vet bills! I adopted a cat from the pound and she cost us a small fortune out of the gate. She's a-ok now though, some 6 years later. It costs a bit to undo the neglect of the previous owners, or lack there of. Good luck with your pup and feel better too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I. Love. That. Dog!!! Absolutely looks like he could be our Joey's little brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been a while since I have stopped by. Just wanted to say hello and that your gorgeous as always and your dog is adorable. Keep rockin hot momma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending well wishes and positive/pawsitive energy your way. My brother's rescue Dogo used to get severe ear infections, so he started adding plain (natural) yogurt to her breakfast. Boo loves it and it's done wonders for her ears. She still gets the odd infection, but they're not nearly as bad. Baby carrots are great for cleaning teeth. For puppers who don't like toothbrushes, our vet recommends putting the doggie toothpaste on a washcloth and using it to gently scrub their choppers. Here's a recipe for homemade organic pupper toothpaste: http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/24344.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Moly! That exact same thing happened to US! We bought our dog from the Humane Society at the end of October 2010. The paper work said that she had worn teeth. When we asked, the women said that she would need to have her teeth possibly removed years down the road. The next week we took her for her "free" visit. Turns out those "worn" teeth were actually CRACKED canines and teeth worn down to the nerve endings.

    The estimated bill was $200.

    I freaked out! We were so in love with this dog, and even though it had only been four days she was already a member of our family. I went straight from that vets visit back to the Humane Society. They apologized for the poor wording on their medical release and agreed to pay half.

    It was $300 total, and 14 teeth gone including two canines. The vet told us that canines are the strongest teeth in a dogs mouth and they could only have been cracked from brute force like being hit by a car or chewing on metal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tough definitely on the finances, but he will be such a loving, happy person in your family and the bill will be forgotten quickly! I think it is wonderful you all took a chance on an older dog (they are so hard to place!)

    He is really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete