Monday, May 30, 2011

This Memorial Day Weekend...

Here in the states many look at memorial day as 3 day weekend,a reason to barbecue and drink beers.Now I'm not knocking any of that but I do hope as I've heard people boast of their holiday parties they'll be attending that they'll also be giving nod to those that have served.

Though it is looked at as a time to honor those that have served and died I thought I'd share with you photos of my gramps in uniform who I am still so fortunate to have with me.He is a retired Sergeant Major in his 90's and has fought 7 terms of war from WWII through Vietnam.

Photobucket

my grandfather on the right
Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope everyone has a fun and safe remains of the holiday weekend.I want to express my gratitude to the men and women that have served and continue to serve this country.Also thank you to your families for their bravery in holding down the home front and staying strong when you're away from them.Also in their ability to put on a smile knowing in times of war there is a chance you may not return to them.I salute you all.

"All gave some,Some gave all"

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. What a handsome gent! You must be very proud of him. :-) I love looking at pics of my dad in his uniform too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting these pictures! I reminds us of what we should REALLY be celebrating :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos of your grandad.My dad is retired army and my granfather too.And being around military life my whole life this day is always a special day for my family.Hope you have a lovely memorial day.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos- you should do an oral history interview with your Grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth as much as I'd love that it won't happen.My grandmother died when I was 8 and not even 6 months after my grandfather ended up suffering a massive heart attack that left his left side paralyzed and interfered greatly with his speech.He is very independent still and gets around ok but his conversational skills consist of "yeah","pretty good","god damn" and "no".

    Even before that though he is too old fashioned to talk of war.When he came home he tried to take off his uniform and step back into the role of being a husband and father.He came back from each war having less to say about anything in regards to it.Its a shame because he's seen SO much history that I'd love to know,especially since he was a sniper in WWII and I am fascinated with WWII.

    ReplyDelete