Saturday, August 14, 2010

60's Silverware and More Serious Matters....

I've cleared out a nice 6 foot by 6 foot area in the back room of my dads house.As I've mentioned before I am dealing with almost 15 years of hoarding and a man that doesn't think there is anything wrong with the current state of the house *sigh*.Though I've given up on fixing up the house like I had hoped while I was here since he no longer wishes to work with me I don't feel bad about getting to Alaska as soon as I can.While I am here though I'm still going to try and do what I can.

One thing I was glad to have found was some silverware that belonged to my dad in the early 60's.Blame it on the Spaniard in me but I saw that and instantly claimed it as my own!I mean he has 2 other sets so its very much NOT needed here so it will have a new home in Alaska with me.

I love the little atomic bursts on them.I also love that my dad got these when he use to work at a gas station in college...I guess it just shows how informal our society has become.You'd never find something like this at a gas station now,let alone a silverware set that has appetizer forks and other serving utensils.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And on to more serious matters now.I just wanted to thank everyone that has kept Vince in their prayers and don't stop praying for the little guy!I also wanted to put another person up on your pray-dar (that's cute right?I'm clever like that).I want you to meet Dori over at I am NOT my breast cancer.

I think too many of us have a "it can't happen to me" attitude.Here is the kicker,Dori is 26 years old.That's right,26 years old with breast cancer.Regardless of age we all need to be aware that it COULD happen to you and why its so important ladies to keep up on your paps to screen for cervical cancer and your mammograms to screen for breast cancer!I see this happening to more and more younger people.

Starting now through the 21st of August I will be offering 20% of all my Etsy sales to Dori to try and help her with her growing medical bills.I'd appreciate anyone helping spread the word on this too please.Again now through the 20th you can treat yourself to some pretty vintage AND do a good deed,its a double win!So shop my etsy shop and spread the word my friends!

5 comments:

  1. Des you rock my world and you make the world a better place. I love the silverware. Reminds me I need to post on some silverware I got at a garage sale a while back! :) Yay I am gonna go shopping now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always breaks my heart when I hear about people being hit by such infernal diseases and it doesn't make it better when I learn that you have to pay for treatment. Living in Denmark we are blessed with a free (well, paid for in taxes but still..) healthcare system and need not worry about finances when being in such a terrible situation... My deepest prayers for both Vince and Dori, they are going to to make it I'm sure:) and bless your heart for doing what you do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi thank you and yes you are fortunate.Americas health care system is a sad state of affairs,the last thing sick people need to worry about it debt.Just from having my kids,even WITH insurance I'm still thousands of dollars in medical debt now its crazy and its a million times worse with something like this.

    Dana,yes DO post photos soon!Aw and thanks you rock my world too.Its like that Edmund Burke quote that goes "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" or something along those lines,I may have messed up the wording the general concept is there,I just feel like if you can help someone you should.I've had plenty of people help me through out the years,you included have helped me in so many ways that I will always remember and be thankful for.

    Its easy enough to just ignore something but that doesn't mean its still not happening ya know.I wish I could help more but this is a little something and if enough people cared just a little more the world wouldn't be such a sad state of affairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That silverware is really neat! My mom had some she also got from a gas station every time she bought gas, she would get a little cardboard box with a setting. They also gave away dishes and glasses. I remember driving up and they would have a glass enclosed case there to see everything you could choose with a fill up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about Dori. =( Damn.

    Love that pattern of silverware, I have some of the identical pattern. =)

    ReplyDelete